The Mid America Museum of Aviation & Transportation (MAMAT) is an independent, educational 501(c)(3) non-profit organization established in 1989 to create a museum in Sioux City to preserve the area’s rich aviation and transportation history.
- Foster public understanding of all transportation modes
- Educate present and future generations
- Provide a Siouxland tourist attraction
- Build and operate a unique educational museum that will display all phases of aviation and surface transportation… past, present and future
- To create a museum complex that people from all over the world will travel to see
- Develop a museum experience that enhances the quality of life for the people of Siouxland as well as for those who visit the museum from other locations
A Place for Youth Education to Take Flight
Education of youth is a critical component of The Mid America Museum of Aviation & Transportation’s overall mission. Providing opportunities for youth to experience the marvels of aviation and surface transportation history, science, technology and their social impacts can serve not only as the catalyst for future careers, but also motivate life-long learning and appreciation.
- Further public understanding of aviation and surface transportation history, science, technology and social studies
- Provide an informal, non-traditional classroom that will promote self-directed study and life-long learning
- Collect and preserve, study, interpret and exhibit significant artifacts relating to all of aviation and surface transportation